Sunday, April 20, 2008

Thanks Grandma

My family laid my Grandmother to rest on Friday April 18. It was a sad occasion indeed, but funerals can also be good. Seeing family and coming together to support each other in a sad time was actually very re-affirming. We drift apart over the years and go our separate ways... but it's nice to know that the support system is there. It was wonderful to see so much of my family together in the same place. Even my uncle Rich showed up - I haven't seen him in years!

Another nice aspect of the funeral was the service itself. Aunt Suzie told us grandma's life story. I actually learned a lot about Grandma that I had never known... I didn't even know her name was Martha! I thought it was June! Maria got to come & hear about my grandmother's life in a way that I never would have been able to tell. Thanks Aunt Suzie.

I don't want to spend a lot of time on a sad subject, but I did want to commemorate it and leave myself a few reminders.

Obituaries
http://www.theoutlookonline.com/news/story.php?story_id=120831271908028300

Martha was born July 6, 1923, in Wellsville, Utah, to Charles and Mary Ellen (Glenn) Green. She was raised in Wellsville and attended business school in Salt Lake City.

On Sept. 2, 1942, she married Glenn Ira Short in Salt Lake City.

Martha moved to Gresham in 1956 and taught piano until 1970. She moved back to Utah in 1971, but returned to Gresham in 1984. She was a member and organist for the Kelly Creek Ward of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and she was involved with genealogy work for the church.

Martha was an avid reader and she loved music, writing poetry and spending time with her family.

She was preceded in death by her husband, Glenn, on April 11, 1994.


http://www.oregonlive.com/obituaries/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/obits/120830552039570.xml&coll=7
Martha June Green was born July 6, 1923, in Wellsville, Utah. A homemaker, she moved in 1956 to Gresham, where she was a piano teacher in her home. She returned to Utah in 1971, and to Gresham in 1984. She was a member of the Kelly Creek Ward of the church and a church pianist and organist. In 1942, she married Glenn Ira Short; he died in 1994.

Rest in peace grandma.

No comments: