Friday, June 1, 2007

How Much to Spend on Wedding Gifts?

This one always gets me - having never gotten married, and not really paying attention to these things, I don't really know what's appropriate. With a few friend's weddings coming up this year - I figured I'd remember if I posted this info.

I saw an article about the subject & sent to Maria - she replied. Here's the discussion.

The original article: "How much am I supposed to spend on a wedding gift?"

Their advice (the Knot):
  • co-workers & distant relatives - $50-$75
  • friend or relative - $75-$100
  • CLOSE friend or relative - $100-$150+
Maria replied with an article of her own that suggests basing your gift on how much money the bride & groom are spending on you at their wedding.

"Q. How much should I spend on a wedding present?
From Nina Callaway,
Your Guide to Weddings.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!
A. The general rule of thumb is to try to estimate how much your meal
will cost, or generally between $65 and $150 per person. If you brought
a date, you both should contribute to a larger gift. If you simply can't
afford this much, then give the nicest gift that you can. "

So, basically - the guidance for the price range is the same. Personally, I think the second approach is bullshit - why do I care how much they spent. I didn't ask them to get married nor how extravagant to make the wedding, I'd much rather base my gift on the merit of our relationship.

No comments: