Sunday, January 6, 2008

Rock Show Review: LA vs British Metal by The Paul Green School of Rock Music

The other night I had the absolute pleasure of going to Berbati's for the LA vs British Metal
show put on by the Paul Green School of Rock. My friend Brian, called me to let me know that his kid Deitrich was playing in the show, and that I should come & check it out. I'll admit, I gave it a half-hearted "sure, I'll come down" after talking to him, and my expectations were pretty low... boy was I wrong.

What I expected was a couple of kids playing a cute-sy imitation of a couple of songs. What I got was a full-fledged rock show with a capacity crowd, a big and very ambitious yet carefully crafted set list, and excellent musicianship.Across the board, the kids are at varying levels of skill & talent, yet each number was well executed and a few of them flat blew me away. To see a couple of kids absolutely NAILING a Slayer tune, double bass drums & extremely tough guitar solos included, is something else. Above all - the show was totally entertaining.

As I got to Berbati's, I was totally surprised to see a line down the street. Boy, are these kids in for a let down when they start their own bands with original music... I've been involved in local music for the better part of my adult life, and I can tell you from countless shows with local bands - you play to empty rooms when you're starting out a whole lot more often than you play to sold out rooms. So, from the kid's standpoint - the experience can't be topped. Judging by the reaction from the proud parents in attendance, I'd guess that their experience is pretty good too.

As I watched the show unfold, I had one thought keep coming back to me. The parents out there who don't enroll their kids in the School of Rock are LAME. If I ever have a kid, I will be counting down the days until I can enroll them in this program.

More Information:
The Paul Green School of Rock - Portland
they have shows all the time and they are NOT all metal shows... check the schedule of upcoming shows here.

The Set List from the LA Metal vs British Metal show:

LA METAL
Too Young to Fall In Love - Crue
Dead Skin Mask - Slayer (standout performance: Hayden Kraff - Guitar)
Round and Round - Ratt
Into the Fire - Dokken
Odyssey - Kyuss
Talk Dirty to Me - Poison
Metal Health - Quiet Riot
Paradise City - Guns (standout performance: Miaya Shambry - Vocalist)
Livewire - Crue
Symphony of Destruction - Megadeth
Ain't Talkin' Bout' Love - Van Halen
Skeletons of Society - Slayer (standout performance: Hayden Kraff - Guitar)

BRITISH METAL
Hellion/Electric Eye - Judas Priest
Killers - Iron Maiden
Black Night - Deep Purple
Strong Arm of the Law - Saxon (standout performance: Jules Malango - Vocals)
Iron Fist - Motorhead
Countess Bathory - Venom
Symptom of the Universe - Black Sabbath (standout performance: Deitrich Muthersbaugh)
Stonehenge - Spinal Tap (standout performance: Jules Malango - Vocals)
Green Manalishi - Judas Priest
Let it Go - Def Leppard
Necessary Evil - Napalm Death
Rock Bottom - UFO
Hallowed Be Thy Name - Iron Maiden

No comments: